Layout

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Do you know how to sleep?

Valentine's day has come and gone. For some of us, or all of us, that is a relief. In the slideshow I posted a couple of pictures of our Valentine's day goodies. Matt's gift was a movie date and Camarae will be with a babysitter. This was his gift because he loves movies and we haven't been to the movie theater in a long time.

Most of the pictures of Camarae are just snapshots of things we do around here. Can you tell if she likes her new snowsuit? I think that it might fit better next year, depending on how big she gets over this summer and fall, it is really big on her right now. Thank you mom for getting it though. I thought that the headband from Vicky was really cute and I put it on her to see if it fit and it did. I think she looks really cute with it on even though she doesn't have any hair. The pictures of her sleeping in the car were of the first time that she fell asleep in the car on her own. So I had to take a picture as proof that it can happen.

So last night we've started to let Camarae figure out how to go to sleep on her own. Without any rocking, bouncing, or a pacifier. We put her in bed when she was awake and happy and then 1 hour and a half later she had finally fallen asleep. After throwing up everything that she had eaten and having to change her clothes because she was soaking wet from throwing up. For the first hour she was throwing up about every five minutes because she was so mad that we were making her go to sleep on her own. Since we knew that she would do this we stayed in the room with her to clean her up and to make sure she didn't choke on the fluid that didn't make it out of her mouth which happened several times. After she finally fell asleep, on an empty growling stomach, she slept until 6 a.m. and then woke up to eat. After eating we had to start the whole process over. This time is was only an hour of crying and no throwing up to go to sleep. Morning nap was a different scenario. When I put her to bed for her morning nap she cried for an hour, throwing up again, and then I took her out to change her diaper and clean her up. Then I waited the half an hour keeping her awake the whole time we started the process over. This time she fell asleep within the first 15 minutes. So far she is still napping and has been asleep for almost 2 hours. The longest nap she has taken in a long time. I can't wait until she will go to sleep within the first 15 minutes or less every time. Needless to say I'm getting a lot of Suduko time in while I sit in the room with her. Wish us well with the sleep endeavors and enjoy your sleep! I envy all those who get to sleep more than 6 hours at a time. Hopefully that will change soon. We will keep you posted on how our sleeping endeavors go.

We love hearing from you all and seeing you on the webcam. Enjoy the pictures!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Crystal. There is a great book that I think Jolie gave to me a while back. It's all about getting your baby on a great sleep cycle. It's called On Becoming Babywise. Great book, great ideas. Mostly just to once your baby wakes up, Feed them. then no food before they go to sleep. Sleep, feed, play, awake time, sleep. Something to that effect. Just google "on becoming baby wise". I sure hope things settle down soon! I know what it's like to listen to a baby scream for an hour in bed all b/c you're making them stay there! You feel so bad! Good luck!

Carley said...

Hopefully she'll learn to sleep soon. Maybe she needs to visit cousin Nate and learn from him. hint hint!

Sabrina said...

Well, it looks like you are having the most fun out of us all. Sound like the sleeping is going as you expected though. Cute prictures. I can't wait to come visit again. So parent teacher conference are coming up. I am not to excited about that one. Nothing really new around here.

Rebecca said...

I'm glad she fell asleep in the car for you, but I'm sorry she was not so good with the whole go to sleep by herself. YOu have more determination than I do, I don't think I could have listened to Jacob for 1 1/2 hours before he fell asleep. Keep up the good work though!